A Greenville man Roland Cote and his family, were saved by his dog, a black Labrador retriever, Thumper, when his house was on fire and believed the fire was caused by his cat, Princess.

Roland Cote, his wife and their 7-year-old grandson were in a converted two-story garage house when the incident happened in early Sunday. His dog grabbed him by the arm to wake him when the blaze started, and he and his family managed to escape from the fire. He then dialed 911 to seek for help before the fire escalated to worst.

The fire marshal investigator said that they believed the fire was started when the family cat tipped over a kerosene lantern. Roland Cote’s family and his pets were escaped safely, except Princess burnt her tail by the flames.